VPD officers stand by as hundreds gather for NYE dance party in downtown Vancouver

Read more

While most people stayed home to comply with public health orders, hundreds of people rang in the new year with a dance party outside the Vancouver Art Gallery. Vancouver police officers watched for several hours as the gathering unfolded, but appeared to take no action against anyone for violating the orders related to gatherings and events.

Co-organized by a group called Hugs Over Masks, the dance party featured several large event tents, a sound system with a DJ booth and even portable toilets.

Set up began in the late afternoon and the illegal gathering officially began at 8 p.m., continuing until after midnight and including a traditional New Year’s Eve countdown.

“This is a rally, this is a protest and this is a celebration at the same time of our rights and freedoms,” said Vadislav Sobolev, founder of Hugs Over Masks, and one of the organizers of the dance party. “Obviously, as this is New Year’s Eve, we are creating a theme around that. The whole idea is for people to come together and celebrate the good that we have going on in this country, in our humanity, and really take a stand for their freedoms.”

Sobolev believes the COVID-19 pandemic is a hoax and his group encourages people to not wear masks or follow physical distancing protocols.

He has organized and participated in a number of weekly rallies and marches in downtown Vancouver and says police have never taken any enforcement action against him, despite the fact he wants to be fined for organizing the events in violation of public health orders.

“For us, it’s actually something that we welcome, because we want to go to court with those fines on the basis that these fines are completely unjustified,” said Sobolev.

The Facebook event page for the dance party named several other people as hosts, including Danielle Kinchella-Pistilli.

She declined to be interviewed by CTV News, but did address the crowd over the sound system.

“We need to give a big thank you to the (Vancouver Police Department) for all of their support and for standing on the right side of history with us,” she said.

When the event started, there was no visible police presence, but after a few hours, about 10 officers from the VPD’s public safety unit looked on from a distance as the dance party grew.

CTV News reached out to VPD for comment on this story prior to the dance party starting and again the morning of New Year’s Day, but has not yet received a response.

Read more

Related Articles

Back to top button