Nostalgia Quiz: Manchester’s place in cutting edge cinema
Photo: Actor George Formby with wife Beryl, March 1939 (01435813) (C) Mirrorpix
Christmas has always been a time for watching great movies – even more so this year as Coronavirus restrictions keep us apart from family and friends.
But did you know that Manchester has a unique place in the British film industry?
From the early productions of John E. Blakeley and the Mancunian Films Corporation to the kitchen-sink dramas of the 1960s, the city has been renowned for cutting edge cinema.
Hobson’s Choice, A Taste of Honey, Hell is a City, Love on the Dole, A Kind of Loving and Charlie Bubbles are just some of the movies produced in the Manchester area.
More recently, the city has been the setting for films like East is East, Velvet Goldmine and 24 Hour Party People.
How well do you know your movie classics? Why not test your knowledge in our nostalgia quiz and compare your score with friends?
Answers are at the bottom of the page.
- In 1934, George Formby was the star of John E. Blakeley’s first production Boots! Boots! about a hotel porter breaking into song at every opportunity.
Where was singer and entertainer Formby born?
2. Gone With the Wind star Vivien Leigh appeared in the play South Sea Bubble at Manchester Opera House in 1956.
Who played her co-star, Rhett Butler, in Gone With the Wind?
A) Douglas Fairbanks Junior
B) Leslie Howard
C) Clark Gable?
3. Filmed in Salford in 1954, Hobson’s Choice starred John Mills as the overbearing father bent on thwarting his daughters’ weddings.
After Hobson’s Choice, Mills famously won an Oscar for his portrayal of the simpleton Michael in which 1970 film?
A) Love Story
B) There Was a Crooked Man
C) Ryan’s Daughter?
4. Who played Rita Tushingham’s alcoholic mother in the 1961 movie A Taste of Honey written by Salford playwright Shelagh Delaney?
A) Dora Bryan
B) Beryl Reid
C) Googie Withers?
5. Which actor played producer Tony Wilson in the 2002 comedy-drama Party People based on the Manchester music scene?
A) Ewan McGregor
B) Steve Coogan
C) David Thewlis?
6. Lancashire cotton mills inspired the 1951 comedy The Man in the White Suit, starring Alec Guinness.
It told the story of an everlasting new fabric that threatened local livelihoods.
Sixteen years later, what what role did Guinness play in Star Wars?
A) Han Solo
B) Anakin Skywalker
C) Obi-Wan Kenobi?
7. Who played Manchester police inspector Harry Martineau in the 1960 film Hell is a City?
A) Stanley Baker
B) Hywel Bennett
C) Patrick McGoohan?
8. East is East actor Jimi Mistry portrayed which character in Coronation Street?
A) Kal Nazir
B) Dev Alahan
C) Marc Anwar?
9. The 1941 film Love on the Dole, set in Lancashire, featured Deborah Kerr as Sally Hardcastle.
In which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical did Kerr play teacher Anna Leonowens?
A) South Pacific
B) The King and I
C) The Sound of Music?
10. Salford-born actor Albert Finney teamed up with Liza Minnelli in the 1967 movie Charlie Bubbles, set in Manchester.
In which 1974 film did Finney play master detective Hercule Poirot?
A) The Mirror Crack’d
B) Murder on the Orient Express
C) Murder on the Nile?
Answers: 1 (A); 2 (C); 3 (C); 4 (A); 5 (B); 6 (C); 7 (A); 8 (A); 9 (B); 10 (B)
Material taken from Sunday’s edition of the M.E.N. Discover more fascinating photos and nostalgic features of Manchester, see the M.E.N. on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday or visit M.E.N. Nostalgia.
If you would like your images of Manchester and around Greater Manchester featuring on InYourArea.co.uk head over to our Memory Lane feature and share them there, or email us at [email protected]
Many of the questions in our quizzes are based on Clive Hardy’s Around Manchester books from the 1950s, 60s and 70s. They’re packed with memories and unmissable pictures from the M.E.N. archive.
The books are on sale now for £14.99 including postage and packing. Not only that, buy three books and get 25 per cent off the third!
Just go to the website here or ring 01928 503777 to place your order.
Discover more photos from areas near you including Bury, Bolton, Tameside, Manchester, Salford, Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Trafford, Wigan, Greater Manchester in the wide range of books available.